After working for the Sydney Academy Of Chess for more than a year, doing chess coaching at many schools all over Sydney, I was inspired by the experience and a few months ago I started working on an interesting project: a free book which would complement my coaching at those schools so that kids could use it as reference, but also a valuable tool in itself for anyone (kid or adult) wanting to learn chess from scratch.
But how exactly did this coaching experience inspire me? In two ways:
- I've been a chess player for more than 30 years and a chess coach for more than 15, and teaching chess to beginners has renewed my interest in chess itself after realizing how much it can mean to them, despite the fact that they've only got to know it for a few months...
- Inevitably, in any classroom or group you'll always get a number of students who fall behind. When writing the book, I was continually thinking about those people: perhaps this book can be an aid to their understanding of the basics of chess.
As a book reader myself, I've always felt the urge to ask questions about what I was reading, and often never got any answers... that's why I've tried to make this book an interactive experience:
- I've set up a support section on my forum so that anyone who has read the book can ask questions, make comments, suggest improvements, etc.
- Online quizzes are currently being built, 6 of them are already available.
- New versions of the book will be published. They will include suggestions by the readers, and new features as well.
The book is completely FREE and so is the support for it.
At present, you can download it from 2 different sites (more to come!):
Download from chess.com (more than 10.000 downloads so far!)
Download from GEMX site
Download from site #3
Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.